Is it dangerous to eat from a dented can?
It is rare but possible to get ill from eating from a dented can. It is not as dangerous though, it also depends on the type and condition of the can.
The main health risk associated with dented can is that it may contain Clostridium botulinum, a type of bacteria that has been linked to a severe illness known as botulism or botulism intoxication. This illness affects the central nervous system and in rare cases, also lead to paralysis. Signs that a container or a can may have traces of the bacteria include leaking, bulging, rusting, or badly dented cans; cracked jars; jars with loose or bulging lids; canned food with a foul odour; or any container that spurts liquid when opening. Completely avoid purchasing or using any of these types of defective cans, as even a small trace of botulism may be deadly. Cracked or leaking cans are an indication that the food it contains is exposed to contamination from the outside. Rusty cans can react with your food, which may have acidic content, and give out a foul taste, or even unpleasant experiences. Also, when taking such cans from cheap roadside stalls etc., these cans may be defective and unoriginal as well. The leaks may have been introduced due to shoddy packaging.